Himalayan Lamb Curried with Spinach
- 2 lbs. lamb, cut into 1/2-in cubes (can be substituted with chicken)
- 2 lbs. fresh spinach, torn in small pieces
- 2 cups onions, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon fenugreek seeds
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 cup broth or water
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons clarified butter
- Salt and Pepper
In a large bowl, season lamb pieces with salt and pepper. In a non-stick sauce pan heat clarified butter, splitter fenugreek until it turns dark. Add turmeric and chopped onions and saut頴ill brown. Put garlic, ginger, cumin and curry powder, and stir for a minute or so until the aroma of roasted spices comes out. Transfer seasoned meat to the onion mixture. Stir and brown well. Add broth and simmer on low heat till the lamb meat is tender and the sauce has thickened up.
Increase the heat to medium, and begin adding spinach in batches. Let each batch of spinach wilt down before adding another batch. Increase the heat to high to evaporate all the excess liquid. Adjust seasoning with salt and pepper. Serve with rice and roti (flat bread).